The world had accepted the importance of doing Yoga, and the way it is followed by people globally is quite remarkable. Most of them had adopted it in their everyday health regime. But to practice Yoga regularly, you need proper dedication and feel.
Performing different yoga exercises on either the wooden floor, grass, or other flooring is not ideal. It would be best if you had a proper yoga mat.
Your yoga practice shouldn’t be messed up because of an improper mat that slips or is unsupportive to your joint pains. A good yoga mat cushions your body and has a robust nonslip surface that provides extra comfort.
A good mat prevents injury during yoga poses while providing a safe space with padding. Additionally, they should be anti-resistant to allergens.
Today’s yoga mats are available to suit every priority and preference, such as lightweight, portable, eco-friendly, toxic-fee materials and more.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is foam mat good for yoga?
- 2 How is yoga foam mat better than rubber yoga mat?
- 3 Top 3 best memory foam yoga mats
- 4 How to choose the best memory foam yoga mat?
- 5 Comparison of above listed Memory Foam Yoga Mats
Is foam mat good for yoga?
Our research can infer that a good fitness mat equipped with foam filling enhances the cushioning feel. The soft feel of foam comforts the joints is resistant to moisture in sweat and without any harmful side effects.
They are more durable and lighter. Other benefits of using foam in yoga mats are as follows:
- The foam material can be used in different layering in a mat. The lower layering of the foam mat provides support from the ground beneath you. If the middle layer is made of foam, especially memory foam, it relieves the muscles and joints from the pressure exerted while performing different asanas.
- The foam mat provides more stability in comparison to mats made with PVC or latex, or rubber.
- A foam base yoga mat provides a safe space with padding. It allows you to ease into yoga poses. There are fewer chances of slipping of hands and feet.
- A thick foam-filled yoga mat offers extra comfort and support. They build strength and keep sensitive joints safe.
- A foam yoga mat is a sound shock absorbent. The impact is less during any potential injury that may happen while doing any asanas.
- Foam based yoga mats are portable, rolled and used even while travelling.
How is yoga foam mat better than rubber yoga mat?
A yoga mat can be constructed by using various kinds of synthetic and natural materials. The most common material used to make a yoga mat is polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Foam is a variant of PVC, but it’s more eco-friendly. They differ from traditional PVC with respect to its processing. The foam material is helpful to maintain a challenging yoga pose.
Its anti-slip resistant feature helps your hands and feet in their place. Further, the foam material doesn’t leach out or off-gas dangerous additives, so you don’t have to worry about any harmful side effects.
Rubber mats are also an eco-friendly option. They are made out of natural latex, which is anti-microbial and has a comfortable grip.
However, yoga foam mats are a better option than rubber yoga mats in many ways:
- Firstly, rubber mats cannot be used by those with allergies.
- Secondly, a foam yoga mat is better insulated, cushioned, and flexible than natural rubber.
- Thirdly, a rubber mat is heavier and thick than its alternative materials. They have a solid off-gassing smell that is absent in most of the other materials.
- Fourthly, a rubber yoga mat is less portable and difficult to handle if compared to its foam counterpart, which is lighter and has an ease handling feature.
- Next, thick memory foam doesn’t lose its shape; hence it is more durable. And if you pick a thin rubber mat to enhance portability, you have to considerably compromise its life span.
- Lastly and prominently, Foam is less costly compared to the cost of pure rubber.
Top 3 best memory foam yoga mats
1. Pogamat Large Yoga Mat [Best in Size]
An excellent and unique yoga and exercise memory foam mat comes with a carrying strap with loops on both ends that makes it easy to carry and storage.
The mat is designed for high-density workouts and is ideal for taller people.
One can stretch out completely and get extra space comfortable do all your yoga poses. The thickness is very nice; better than any average mat: the memory foam workout mat comforts and cushions all your joints.
The design and build are premia. The high-resilient PVC material doesn’t lose its structure easily and doesn’t compress over time. This makes it highly durable.
Quality memory foam with non-slip bottom makes it used without shoes. The material is effectively shock absorbent.
The closed-cell technology makes it waterproof and prevents the growth of any anti-microbial allergens. It is easy to use on any floor. The versatile mat can be used for cardio, weight lifting and other exercises. The brand offers a lifetime warranty.
- Thickness: 8mm
- Length: 7 ft
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Color: Black
Key Benefits (What We liked):
- Extra-long and extra-wide
- Provides comfort & support
- Anti-slip pad
- Eco-friendly manufacturing techniques are used
- Free from any non-toxic synthetic materials.
- Easy to roll it back up
Drawbacks we Noticed:
- It’s not odorless
- Texture and slip-resistant features are not that great
2. Gxmmat Large Yoga Mat [Value for Money]
An excellent yoga mat for both home and outdoor use.
Equipped will all promising features of a good memory foam yoga mat such as thickness, style, color and texture, it’s one of the multi-purpose exercise accessory products worth buying.
Talking about its thickness, the 9mm high-quality massive memory foam yoga mat is huge enough (about 5 feet wide) to fit a partner in.
The thickness impacts shock-absorbing activity and is a good pick for fragile bones and joints. Despite its thickness and high density, the mat has a soft surface feel.
The double-sided anti-slip surface makes the mat remain in its place even in the most vigorous movements. The mat is flexible and durable.
The memory foam yoga mat is constructed with premium quality eco-friendly materials safe for your body and mind.
The design makes it functional on all types of flooring- concrete, wooden, tiles and outdoors. The mat is easy to roll out and back with easy to clean features.
- Thickness: 9mm
- Length: 83.86”
- Weight: 11.68 pounds
- Color: Three
Key Benefits (What We liked):
- The very soft and dense foam material
- Fantastic padding all over
- Good grip on the floor
- Very spacious
- Good comfort and support
Drawbacks we Noticed:
- It is heavy
- Firmness is a bit disappointing
3. Spoga, Premium 5/8-inch Extra Thick High-Density Exercise Yoga Mat [Best Price]
You can use this yoga mat for children’s nap mat due to its extra thickness and length.
The memory foam yoga mat offers excellent comfort and space.
The yoga mat effortlessly absorbs the body pressure while doing exercise.
The high-density mat is constructed with high-quality closed cell memory foam with breathable edges for proper air circulation. The Spoga premium yoga mat cushions your back, hips, and all joints, on hard floors.
The extra padded surface supports all kinds of yoga practices and poses, Pilates and other activities. The texture offers great traction and grip. It is non-slippery and stays in place.
The extra-long design makes it suitable for all body types. The portable and lightweight mat is easy to roll out and pack. Very easy to clean and maintain as it is moisture-resistant.
- Thickness: 5/8 inch (15.8mm)
- Length: 71 inches
- Weight: 2.6 pounds
- Color: Multiple
Key Benefits (What We liked):
- Double-sided non-slip surface
- Great impact absorption
- Excellent support for people with weak bones.
- Very lightweight, portable and easy to maintain
- Suitable for people of all sizes and shapes
Drawbacks we Noticed:
- Complaints of variation in thickness are received
- Durability is average
How to choose the best memory foam yoga mat?
Not sure how to choose a good memory foam yoga mat? Finding the right memory foam yoga mat is a little tricky but not impossible.
Our definitive guide will help you understand the following factors that one must consider before buying any yoga mat.
A thick yoga mat is always comfortable. The thickness shouldn’t be less than1/4 inch. On the higher side, going beyond ½ inch will lead to heavyweight and more sink in the feeling while performing poses.
The thickness of about 1/8th or 1/16th is in the average category of wafer-thin mats best for travel purposes (portability).
But a too thin yoga mat can hurt your knee while performing exercises. The best thing would be to opt for a memory foam yoga mat with a ¼ inch thick, good density to have a strong connection with the floor and be considered a high-end option.
The mat’s texture is vital as it dictates how much traction it will provide and how much you enjoy. The more you have to do slipping and sliding, the better anti-slip texture it should have.
Texture acts like a physical barrier to slip and slide poses. Again, a smooth surface makes you more comfortable. You may come across textures like raised bumps that come from jute.
Cotton, rubber, or organic roughness is inherent in PVC. Some texture provides an added grip such as in polyurethane foam. That may be a utility for those who enjoy vigorous moves.
Dimensions do matter a lot. Select a yoga mat according to your height and weight. Always choose the length of a mat that is 6-7 inches taller than your height.
The width should be judged as per your built. The broader you are, the wider mat you require. A wide mat also provides extra space.
When looking at length, it is best to go for a measurement that is at least six inches taller than you are. If you wish to have extra space on the mat, you should go for an extra-wide one.
4. Type of yoga or exercise
It is very crucial to understand your requirement as a yoga practitioner. The kind of yoga you do directly impacts your decision in picking the right memory foam mat.
People going for hot and vigorous poses will sweat more. Hence, they should opt for non-sticky and non-slippery surfaces for better alignment and prevent injury.
For restorative yoga, one should opt for a thick and dense yoga mat as you have to be in that sink in the pose for few minutes.
Typically, a basic plain solid-color memory foam yoga mat can pinch your pocket by $20-25. These will be toward the low-end range.
The more extravagant you get with brand, thickness, texture, color and design patterns, the more you must shell out. Most eco-friendly material yoga mats with anti-microbial features tend to be toward the higher range.
Though it may not be very prominent for some but pattern, color, and design, do matter for many. After all, you have to spend an ample amount of time lying and sitting on it. Hence it should be offering a pleasant feel to you.
It goes without saying that you should buy a product that is easy to clean and maintain. With respect to memory foam yoga mats, it is easy to care for.
You have to lay it with the surface down, and a sponge can clean the downward surface and wipe dry it. Always use a clean dried mat for yoga. It prevents you from getting affected by bacteria and other allergens.
After all the discussion on selecting a good memory foam yoga mat, our article would be incomplete if we don’t let you know some best available options online.
We have narrowed it down to the three best memory foam yoga mats for your ready reference based on the above factors.
Comparison of above listed Memory Foam Yoga Mats
|Pogamat Large Yoga Mat||Gxmmat Large Yoga Mat||Spoga, Premium Yoga Mat|
|Size||84″ (7 ft) x 27″||83.86” x 59.84”||71″ X 24″|
|Weight||5 Pounds||11.68 Pounds||2.6 Pounds|
It’s essential for the yoga practitioner to feel comfortable, stable and safe while pulling your poses. There are numerous advantages of having a good yoga mat as it conforms to hygiene; as you are not in contact with another person, your body gets proper cushioning and support because of the non-slip surface of a yoga mat.
You can save yourself from any potential injury while conducting yoga postures. Lastly, as discussed above, mostly all yoga mats are easy to store and portable.
Overall, we can say yoga mat, especially memory foam yoga mat provides more comfort and peace of mind during your practice sessions compared to one’s practicing without them.