How to Clean Memory Foam Earbud Tips? How Often to Clean?
Earbuds are one of the core accessories for mobile phones. Music lovers cannot imagine life without these in their pockets while stepping out. The worst thing that can happen to them is their earbuds going dirty. Regular earbud cleaning keeps your device stay longer with you.
We understand some brands cost you a whole month’s salary but, these are worth investing in when you know how to maintain these properly.
The only concern is how to know if your earbud needs a cleaning. Let’s find out.
How to know your earbuds need cleaning?
- Your earbud has stopped working
- Your earbud looks dirty
- Your earbud is not giving the same sound as earlier
How Often Should You clean memory foam earbud tips?
Memory foam earbud can be cleaned occasionally to prevent wax from sticking. You can simply use a clean and damp cloth to gently wipe the earbud tips. Weekly cleaning or once in three days is recommended.
If you ask us the life of earbud tips, these last for just two to four months. Thus, we recommend that you change the foam tips every three months or when you find them soiled.
Earbud tips can be either cleaned or simply replaced. Cleaning or replacing at regular periods gets you amazing sound quality and noise cancellation. Moreover, cleaning earbuds is not too much effort. All you need is patience and will.
Two ways to clean memory foam earbud tips
Method 1: Clean Using Water
Things you need:
- Clean Cloth
Step by Step Process
- To clean the earbud tips, you need just water and a clean cloth. Dip some part of the cloth in water and gently wipe the earbud tips.
- Now wipe with the dry side of the cloth.
- Keep the earbuds tips aside and let them dry completely before you use them again.
Method 2: Clean using Soapy Water and Cleaning Solution
Things you need:
- Mild soap
- Water (preferably warm)
- Clean Cloth (preferably microfiber)
- Regular cleaning agent
Step by Step Process:
- Remove the foam tips from the earbuds.
- Wash the tips with soapy water.
- Scrub the tips and the grill well.
- You may also use a regular cleaning lotion to wipe off the tough stains or dirt.
- Follow the same method after two to three weeks.
*Avoid using anything that contains alcohol to clean your memory foam earbud tips.
7 Important things to remember when cleaning your memory foam earbud tips
- Cover the wide opening of the sink before you put these under running water. The small tips can easily slip and flow down from the drainage.
- Do not squeeze the memory foam earbud tips too hard. You must gently rub these with soapy water to clear off the dirt and stains.
- Avoid using any cleaning agents that contain alcohol or the liquid will breakdown the foam and prevent it from cleaning the tips properly.
- Do not use your earbud tips or earbuds immediately after applying hand sanitizer, sunscreen, or post cleaning. Let the chemicals settle before you expose these to the tips.
- Clean your storage pouch or case always before storing your earbud tips. This must be followed strictly when you clean the tips and earbuds to prevent settling of dust from the case.
- Take good care while using your tips as the nails and rough handling may sometime damage the soft tips.
- Never keep your earbuds and tips too close to excessive heat or cold.
How do you get the smell out of memory foam earbud tips?
Go for a replacement if your earbuds are new; sometimes the packed case or packaging may let the memory foam absorb the odor.
Thus, most users will suggest you return, exchange, or replace the existing earbud tips in case of a bad smell. Sometimes the product is packed for a prolonged time and the moisture or air becomes smelly inside.
You can certain basics of picking the right memory foam earbuds. Check whether the brand is offering you a replacement, money back, warranty, or guarantee on the product.
Sometimes, the cleaning process can also make your earbud tips stink. It could be because you did not allow the tips to dry properly and completely.
Before you use your memory foam earbud tips you must let the moisture, cleaning agents, and wetness dry thoroughly.
How to keep earbuds tips free from dirt and dust?
This is quite simple to follow; all you need to do is keep your earbuds and tips in the cover or box when not in use. Keep the earbud tips covered in a case or cover will not allow the dust to settle.
Also, whenever you are done using these, allow them to dry for few minutes before you put them in the cover or box.
You must let the ear sweat dry off completely before you keep them aside or the case will start stinking along with the tips.
Ensure that you gently rub the tips every time you use them before and after. By doing so, you are allowing the tips and earbuds to breathe fresh all the time.
Another thing to remember is to keep the extra foam tips safe with you. You can disregard the old ones after few months and replace them with new tips. This will increase the life of your memory foam earbuds too.
Follow the tips to enjoy the great noise and durability of your memory foam earbuds. Cleaning the tips is equally essential as the earbuds and so give priority to their cleaning too.
Regardless of the way or method of cleaning you choose, ensure your earbud tips are dry. You can always check the manual that you received with your memory foam earbuds to find out cleaning tips.