Installing a memory foam kitchen mat is as exciting as installing it in the bathroom. Both rooms can be turned super gorgeous if you know how to pick the right one and how to maintain these.
Buying is easier than maintaining memory foam mats until you know the right way of cleaning these. After a good research, we have found slight differences in the cleaning process of kitchen mats and bathroom mats.
In this article, we will discuss the various steps of cleaning kitchen mats.
Before we proceed, do not get confused between kitchen rugs and kitchen mats. Allow us to begin with the differences at first so that you have a clear vision of the cleaning process for memory foam kitchen mats.
Table of Contents
- 1 Difference between Memory Foam Kitchen Mats and Kitchen Rugs
- 2 How often should you clean a memory foam kitchen mat?
- 3 How to clean a memory foam kitchen mat?
- 4 FAQs related memory foam kitchen mat cleaning
Difference between Memory Foam Kitchen Mats and Kitchen Rugs
- Memory foam kitchen mats are an extended version of towels. These are used in the kitchen for added comfort, good body posture, and to keep the surface dry.
- A kitchen rug is similar to a towel material. These may look good in the bathroom due to their soft and cozy appearance, but they fail to solve the purpose as stated above.
- Kitchen rugs get heavier if they get accidentally wet due to spillage, whereas kitchen mats do not get heavier with water absorption or any spillage.
- Kitchen rugs are limited to specific corners of the kitchen; these can be placed at the door entrance or sink area. On the other side, kitchen mats can be placed anywhere without any thinking of proper space. These not only add beauty to the kitchen but also, improve your body posture.
- The material of kitchen rugs is not as sturdy and durable as that of memory foam kitchen mats. Thus, most people prefer the idea of installing kitchen mats.
How often should you clean a memory foam kitchen mat?
We recommend you clean kitchen mats once a week. Memory foam kitchen mats are to be cleaned daily or weekly if you use the kitchen daily or cook there every day.
The kitchen is one of the most essential spaces of our home. That is the place where good health begins.
Like most other household goods, kitchen mats are to be cleaned regularly too! You must use a dirt picker or dustpan to clean it at least once a day.
The other times, you can simply put it to dry under the sun or give it a mild wash in the dryer cycle. Wash your kitchen rug at least once a week.
Regardless of the method, you choose for cleaning, regular maintenance and cleaning will extend the life of your kitchen mat.
How to clean a memory foam kitchen mat?
Kitchen mats can get dirty and stinky soon. Unless you have a sparkling kitchen, you cannot think of calling the guests.
The kitchen mat is the second thing they will notice after observing your kitchen countertop as that’s the place where they will stand to help you in the chores.
Oily, greasy, and smelly mats can be a big turn-off for the guests. Before they start making excuses from your dinner invites, learning few effective cleaning steps may help.
Let’s discuss the easy steps of cleaning memory foam kitchen mats. These steps will take you back to the time when you bought these mats fresh from the store.
The essentials required to clean memory foam kitchen mat
|S. No||Item Name||Purpose||Recommended Product|
|1||Broom and dustpan||To soak the moisture and absorb the urine||Hand held boom and dustpan by MDesign|
|2||Mild Detergent||To break down the dirt and smell||Tide’s mild laundry detergent|
|3||Warm Water||To dissolve the bacteria, smell, and tough stains||NA|
Step by Step Process to Clean a Memory Foam Kitchen Mat
1. Use mild detergent for the wash
To clean memory foam kitchen mats, you need a mild detergent or cleaning agent. If possible, always prefer hot or warm water for the mat wash. Warm water helps to remove the greasy oil smoothly from the mat during the wash cycle.
2. Avoid scrubbing and rubbing
Regardless of how dirty your mat looks, avoid rubbing or scrubbing harshly. Rough cleaning will damage the quality of your mat and may increase the chances of chipping off.
The cleaning process should not take longer than 20 minutes including draining and drying.
3. Do not use detergents with pH chemicals
Other than the pH chemical, also check if your detergent excludes solvents, bleach, and alkalis. All stated are harsh chemicals that increase risks of damages to mat surface.
Check if your cleaning solution doesn’t exceed pH level by 9.5. The best solution is to choose a detergent that is meant for memory foam products.
4. Use broom and brush for daily cleaning
Your mat may look clean, but if you try brooming or brushing after few days, you will be shocked to see the level of dirt absorbed by your memory foam kitchen mats.
Thus, brooming or brushing every day will help prevent the dry dust or dirt to settle on the mat. You will find special brushes for kitchen mat cleaning from the store.
5. Dry the mats properly
Drying is equally important as cleaning memory foam kitchen mats. Once you finish the cleaning cycle, lay your mats flat on the ground or hang them under the sun.
Allow your mats to dry completely. Avoid rolling or tying your mat immediately after you wash them.
*We don’t recommend vacuuming memory foam kitchen mats as we do for bath mats as the oil and grease will spoil the suction pipe as well as the brush of the vacuum machine. Also remember, a bad smell can be removed by adding white or clear vinegar in warm water along with few drops of aroma (essential) oil.
Some questions may look similar to the content explained above but, we need to share the most asked questions related to memory foam mat cleaning.
1. Are memory foam kitchen mats machine washable?
We would not recommend you to do so as some part of the material may crack or chip off in the machine cycle. It’s the same with other types of the mat as well such as those made of bamboo, cotton, fiber mats, etc.,
2. What should I use to clean the kitchen mat?
As we explained above, it is essential to use a mild detergent with balanced pH levels to clean or wash kitchen mats. You may also refer to the chart in this article to understand the materials needed to clean memory foam kitchen mats.
3. How to prevent kitchen mats from turning moldy?
Put your kitchen mats in the washing machine dryer. Set the dryer on low cycle or the material will crack/peel off. Regular cleaning and washing will prevent mold growth and unpleasant smells.
4. How often should you change your kitchen mats?
If you realize the cleaning cycles and washes are giving no change to your memory foam kitchen mat, you must change it.
5. Are memory foam kitchen mats slippery?
Memory foam kitchen mats are anti-slippery. If you buy good quality ones they will protect you from slip and fall injuries too. Go for kitchen mats that are slip and water-resistant.
If you follow the cleaning steps well, your mat will stay long with you. Memory foam kitchen mats play an important role in enhancing as well as protecting your kitchen.
Most cleaning items are easily available in the market or online as recommended. Before you clean any type of mat, read the manufacturer’s manual and follow the instructions.