Mattress Toppers are available in several materials such as latex, memory foam, wool, cotton, etc., and in many different designs and structures to cater to diverse requirements and sleeping preferences. All toppers have their advantages and drawbacks.
Most People buy a memory foam mattress topper to get extra comfort, support and improve the lifespan of their existing mattress.
Memory foam topper adds extra cushion for your entire body by conforming to it. It prevents the appearance of pressure points and offers a restful and peaceful sleep every night.
But like any other bedding accessories, mattress toppers too have a limited lifespan. For instance, if you feel tired or in pain while waking up, it’s a sign that it’s time to get a new topper.
Table of Contents
- 1 What size memory foam topper should you get?
- 2 How long do memory foam mattress toppers last?
- 3 Tip to Make Memory Foam Topper Last Long
- 4 Should you flip a memory foam mattress topper?
- 5 When to Replace Memory Foam Topper?
- 6 How to Select the Memory Foam Topper that Lasts Long?
What size memory foam topper should you get?
The thumb rule for selecting the size of any mattress topper is that it should be the same size as your bed mattress.
If your current mattress has a customized size and the topper you selected is short or a little bit larger on the sides, then you needn’t worry.
The mattress topper comes with attached corner straps to tie the topper bedding with the mattress. That stabilizes the layering and prevents shifting of the topper while sleeping.
Recommended Memory Foam Mattress Toppers with Long Lifespan:
How long do memory foam mattress toppers last?
If you believe that a memory foam topper will last as long as a memory foam mattress, you are mistaken.
On average, the lifespan of a typical memory foam topper is about 3-5 years.
If you have compromised the quality with cost, the durability is shortened to a couple of years.
On the contrary, a very high-quality memory foam topper may last up to 8-10 years depending on factors such as described below.
1. Frequency of use
the more you use, the sooner the wear and tear will take place. Toppers used in the guest room last longer than those placed in bedrooms as we will be using them more frequently.
2. Weight of people put on it
When extra pressure is put on the topper, it will break down faster. Hence oversized people using mattress toppers can make it less durable.
3. The thickness of the memory foam
Thin memory foam toppers are less durable than the thicker ones. Thicker memory foam will take more time to break down.
4. The density of the memory foam
Choose a memory foam topper with a minimum density of four pounds as a high-density topper will usually last longer.
The way you clean and keep the topper increases or decrease the life span. Proper vacuuming, regular washing, and spraying using a protector, etc.
6. Condition of the mattress underneath the topper
If your current mattress is in poor condition, it will affect the topper. The topper will contour the shape of the sagging old mattress in few months and ruin itself.
It is advisable to replace a mattress after 7 to 8 years, even if it doesn’t show any sign of depletion.
Tip to Make Memory Foam Topper Last Long
Follow these tips to ascertain the durability of a memory foam mattress topper.
- Always rotate the memory foam topper to even out the wearing.
- If you and your partner differ in size and weight. Then rotation becomes compulsory every couple of weeks; otherwise, you can rotate it every six months.
- Regular cleaning and washing should be done. Occasionally airing out of topper in the sun will lead to more benefit.
- Choose a higher-density memory foam. They last longer.
- Never fail to check the warranty. There should be at least a 30-day trial period return policy.
- Try to use a mattress cover on your memory foam mattress topper. The toppers should be covered with a piece of high-thread-count cotton fabric.
Should you flip a memory foam mattress topper?
Memory foam mattresses and memory foam toppers are both designed on the concept of “no turns” or one side sleep.
This is because memory foam is ideally placed on one side of the bedding, so flipping it may invalidate or change its features.
Experts recommend rotation of the same in every 3-6 months. Although the above reasoning is acceptable for memory foam mattresses, that doesn’t wholly hold for memory foam toppers.
This is due to the fact that mattresses are made with multiple layering, and that’s not the case with a foam topper.
It’s made mainly with a single layering of memory foam. In such a scenario, it can be flipped once or twice annually.
Please do remember that while doing so, you have removed the zippered cover, followed by cleaning.
When to Replace Memory Foam Topper?
As discussed above, whether it is time to replace your memory foam topper will be well indicated by your body.
There are specific reliable indications to conclude that the present memory foam topper is damaged and needs replacement.
- When you experience a lack of support, back pain, and other muscle aches and joint pain after waking up in the morning, then the memory foam topper is no longer doing its job.
- The mattress topper is feeling too soft or too firm.
- If you observe permanent dents or depression in the middle or anywhere else on the topper.
- When your body sink heavily on the topper
- Visible damage such as Holes, tears, or other noticeable imperfections
- The sleeper starts getting skin problems like itching, rashes, or breakouts.
- If you experience trouble sleeping throughout the night with no evident lifestyle-related causes.
How to Select the Memory Foam Topper that Lasts Long?
Certain factors have to be considered before selecting a memory foam topper that has an extended life. Those are:
1. Size of Topper
Always remember size matters the most. If you want the topper to last long, then first measure the dimensions of your existing mattress so that you can select the right-sized memory foam topper for your mattress.
It should sit perfectly on the mattress. A wrong sized topper will force edges to fall, look clumsy, and interrupt sleep as well.
2. Density of the Topper
The density of the Memory Foam Mattress Topper plays a vital role in determining the durability of the bedding.
The density of the mattress topper is defined by how firm the mattress is. The higher the density is, the better is the quality, weight, support, and durability.
However, high-density memory foam toppers are expensive. You can opt for a 4-6 pounds per cubic meter density topper.
Check the Indentation load deflection (ILD) range. ILD is a measure of the memory foam’s comfort level. It also means that how easily the foam deflects. The acceptable range is between 8 and 20.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper should be based on Right Thickness. Most toppers come in thickness from 2 to 4 inches.
You can select the thicker memory foam mattress topper. A thicker memory foam topper will sustain heavy sleepers and help in retaining the structure for a long time.
Choose a topper that has added features of waterproofing and Hypoallergenic. They are always better than standard ones.
These additional features save your toppers from getting damaged by dust mites, bacteria, body-liquids, and moisture. Hence you will add longevity to your topper.
Top Rated Memory Foam Mattress Toppers that Last Long:
The bottom line is some factors affect the longevity of your mattress topper. For instance, a cheaper and inferior quality memory foam topper, if used then it’s likely to wear out faster because it’s not so firm.
Furthermore, if you put extraordinary pressure and load on the memory foam toppers, you can’t help but damage them. The open foam cell structure will break and ruin the bedding. Even the room temperature and density of the mattress topper may affect the lifespan of the foam topper.
However, it is a fact that there is a specific time by which a topper should be replaced. What you can do is follow our guidelines to extend the lifespan of your memory foam topper by a couple of years.