It is natural that the hours of sleep decrease as age increases. The main reason behind this is the depleting health conditions, physical pains, heat temperatures, etc. So, selecting the right mattress for elders can positively obliterate these issues and provide 8-9 hours of healthy sleep.
There are wide varieties of such mattresses available in the market addressing different issues of aged sleepers. This article gives complete details about the best elder mattresses!
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Popular Mattresses for Elderly
- 2 Buyer Guide to Select the Best Mattress for Seniors
- 3 Our Top 5 Recommended Mattresses for Elderly
- 4 Comparison of above 5 selected mattresses for elderly
- 5 Editor’s Choice: Best Mattress for Elderly
Top 5 Popular Mattresses for Elderly
Buyer Guide to Select the Best Mattress for Seniors
1. Firmness Level
The firmness level decides the comfort of the sleeping surface when it comes to the mattress. In general, this level is measured based on the firmness scale. The scale has 1-10 counts where 1 represents the softest surface and 10 represents the firmest level.
Seniors often suffer from body pains. So, the medium to medium-firm mattresses can provide optimum support and depressurize their pressure points. The bed with a 6 to 8 firmness level can help the average weight to plus-size seniors.
2. Mattress Type
The mattress type varies based on its core materials and construction design. Each type has its own benefits and limitations. The major mattress types that go remarkable with seniors’ physique are as follows:
a. Latex Mattress:
These mattresses are constructed with latex foam that can be either natural or synthetic. The natural latex comes from the rubber tree and remains bouncy. It has no additives. Synthetic or blended latex uses latex-like plastic to imitate the feel and comfort of natural latex. These artificial latex foams are much economical than natural latex materials.
Advantage of Latex Mattress: This mattress has high breathability and responsiveness. This material naturally disperses the heat and keeps the surface cool. It also moulds the body shape and provides a snuggly feel to the seniors. The latex material aligns the spine and relieves the pressure points of the aged sleepers. It provides fine support to combination sleepers. Latex mattresses are also non-sinking. So, the seniors can enjoy the ease of movement.
b. Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress:
A memory foam mattress is mainly made of polyurethane. It usually has a heat-accumulating problem. So, the gel-infused mattress is an improvement over the foam mattress. The infusion of cooling gel beads or liquids into the memory foam layer regulates the sleep temperature.
Advantages of Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress: This type of mattress has a slow-rebounding feature. It cushions the pressure points and relieves the senior’s body pains. The cool-gel infusion maintains a cool climate over the sleeping zone. It also contours a senior’s body with better comfort. It has a unique motion isolation benefit over other mattress types.
This mattress type uses more than one material in its design. It has individually encased spring coils as a support layer and other materials such as memory foam, latex, or others as comfort layers. The hybrid construction provides the advantages of different mattress types by neglecting their limitations.
Advantages of Hybrid Mattress: The mattress has the best airflow than other types and remains cool the whole night. The spring coil layer provides optimum support for relieving pains and the comfort zone ensures maximum contouring. The hybrid mattress also promises noiseless and motionless sleep with the presence of foam layers. The innerspring support layer highly supports the plus-size seniors.
Final Thought on Mattress Type: In general, latex mattresses have higher durability with a natural cooling effect. The memory foam mattresses are best for pressure relieving benefits. The hybrid mattress stays economical and suited for overweight seniors.
3. Sleeping Positions
The sleeping position can be of the back, stomach, and sideways. The seniors with back and stomach sleeping habits can find firm mattresses suitable. It provides optimum support to the lumbar region.
In today’s market, mattresses are available in wide price ranges from very reasonable to expensive costs. So, based on your affordability level and spending behavior, you can select your mattress.
5. Pressure-Relieving Feature
Pains and body pressures are the major problems that disturb the senior’s sleep. So, the mattress with the best conforming and pressure-relieving benefits can enhance their sleep.
This feature ease-out the neck and lumbar region pains effectively and help the aged sleepers to have deep relaxation. With improved technology, almost all mattress types are providing this comforting benefit.
6. Temperature Control Feature
Humans naturally sweat when they sleep. In response, the sleeping surface becomes hot. So, the mattress with better heat-dispersing and airflow features is always the right choice.
This feature represents the mattress’s moulding capacity when you change the sleeping position. The surface with a highly responsive benefit adjusts itself to your body shape quickly. It promotes ease of movement for the seniors.
8. Anti-Sinking Benefit
Seniors generally suffer from limited flexibility. So, the mattress with a sinking-down feature makes their getting in and out hard. The medium-firm mattresses with anti-sinking nature stay best in this prospect.
9. Motion Isolation
The seniors get extremely disturbed whenever their sleeping partner changes the position. This problem mainly occurs when the surface remains too bouncy and cushioning. So, the mattress with a firm base and high motion isolation feature can prevent this disturbing event.
10. Edge support
High edge support ensures that the sleepers do not feel like slipping off when they use the corner of the bed. So, this feature becomes more useful when the senior sleeps with the partner. It is because it provides an excess sleeping surface with an ergonomic feel.
Mattress is a heavy investment, and higher durability makes the purchase worth it. The warranty periods generally decide the durability of the mattress.
While selecting the mattress, look for the warranty period the manufacturer provide and make the decision accordingly. The hybrid and memory foam mattresses record an average lifespan of 10 years, and the latex mattress has 12 years.
Certifications represent the quality of the materials used, their emission level, durability, etc. These certifications assure that the seniors enjoy safe and healthy sleep. The certifications including, CertiPUR-US standards, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, etc., assures that the mattress has no harmful chemicals and emissions.
The certifications including, Global Organic Textile Standard, Global Organic Latex standard, etc., are provided to eco-friendly mattresses.
Our Top 5 Recommended Mattresses for Elderly
Based on the above-discussed criteria, this article discusses the five best mattresses for elders along with their features, pros, and cons!
1. Dynastymattress Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress
Dynastymattress Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress has the best cooling and airflow technology. This mattress best suit the elders with excessive sweating nature during sleep.
It prevents the accumulation of heat and maintains a cool climate over the surface. The medium-firm surface distributes the body weight and relieves pains and pressures.
The anti-sinking property provides a comfy feel without getting too much down. It provides a snuggly feel for side sleepers and firm support for back and stomach sleepers.
The outer cover has a fire barrier with four side zips for easily removable and washable benefits. It also stays soft and luxurious to the skin with an appealing look.
Highlighted Features of V B Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress
- Dynastymattress Cool Breeze Mattress is an all-foam mattress with 12-inches thickness. Its layers include high-definition cool gel memory foam, dual art cool airflow foam layers, and high definition base foam.
- The outer cover is made of cotton material. It has a fire barrier and zip features.
- The core layers have CertiPUR-US certified foam.
- The manufacturer provides 120-night free trial with 30 years limited warranty.
- This mattress is available in varying dimensions to suit all foundations.
Key Benefits of Dynastymattress Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress
- The cool gel layer and dual airflow layers actively disperse the heat and regulate the sleep temperature throughout the night. The gel foam contours to the body shape and give a snuggly feel. The base foam provides optimum support to relieve back pains and body pressures.
- This mattress ensures a medium-firm sleeping surface. It has anti-sinking and motion isolation benefits that lead to undisturbed whole-night sleep.
- The combination sleepers find this bed suited as it supports all sleeping positions.
- The zipped outer cover is easy to remove and wash. This benefit makes the cleaning process stress-free for aged sleepers.
- Despite its best features, it is available at a reasonable and highly affordable price.
Drawbacks of Dynastymattress Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress
- Sometimes, the mattress releases a strong chemical odor for up to a week.
2. Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress
Best Back Support
Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress provides a medium-firm sleeping surface for seniors. It provides optimum support and ease-out pressure points. With its contouring and even weight-distributing feature, it relieves the back pains of the aged sleepers.
The plant-based materials maintain the sleep temperature and make the mattress responsive and adaptive. It prevents the sinking feeling and eases the body movements. This all-foam mattress provides a comfortable sleeping zone to back and stomach sleepers.
Highlighted Features of Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress
- Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress is a 12 inches memory foam mattress. It has 2 inches of Bio-Pur® foam, 3 inches of the Affinity transition layer, and 7 inches of Bio-Core® foam.
- The encasement has Celliant® fiber. This cover has 13 Thermo-reactive minerals.
- It is an eco-friendly mattress made with plant-based memory foam.
- This mattress uses CertiPUR-US certified foam. It ensures high standards in terms of quality, durability, and off-gassing.
- The manufacturer provides a 100-night sleep trial with 20 years warranty.
Key Benefits of Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress
- The foam layers have an advanced open-cell structure. It promises high breathability and active heat-dispersion. So, the surface always remains cool and comfortable.
- The presence of Hive® technology provides firm support with cushioning feel. It provides a cloud-like feel to the sensitive parts and optimum firmness to relieve pains and pressures.
- The Celliant® cover ensures deep and sound sleep for the seniors. Its Thermo-reactive minerals make them wake rejuvenated in the morning.
- It has high responsive and anti-sinking benefits.
- The motion isolation benefit makes this bed best to use with partners.
- The sag-free base foam improves durability.
Drawbacks of Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress
- This mattress feels over-firm for side sleepers and lightweight seniors.
3. Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
Value for Money
Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress is designed with natural latex foam and organic cotton wool encasement. It comes in three different firmness levels of soft, medium-firm, and firm.
The firm and medium-firm surfaces stay best for aged sleepers. They provide a soft feel to the sensitive parts and firm support to the pressure points.
This latex mattress rightly aligns the spine during sleep and relieves the neck, spine, and shoulder pains. It has an anti-sinking, a high-responsive feature that it easily molds to sleep-time tossing.
It also provides high-edge support and motion isolation benefits. This bed naturally provides a cool sleeping surface.
Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress is a hypoallergenic product and has 100% organic materials. Thus, it stays safe for allergic seniors to have a healthy sleep.
Highlighted Features of Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress is an eco-friendly mattress made of all-natural materials.
- It is available in 7 and 9 inches thicknesses with different construction designs. The 9 inches mattress is more suited for senior usage. It has 6 inches base Dunlop latex, 2 inches soften Dunlop latex, and 1-inch quilted wool woven into the mattress cover.
- The mattress cover has organic cotton material.
- This mattress has the certifications of Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), GreenGuard Gold, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, and Eco-INSTITUT standards.
- The manufacturer offers 100-night free sleep trial with 10 years warranty.
Key Benefits of Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- The base layer provides firm support that aligns the spine and relieves the pains and pressures. The soft latex layer and woolen stuff make the mattress luxurious.
- The cotton encasement stays soft and safe to the skin. The wool inside the cover has a fire barrier feature.
- The entire mattress has high breathability and stays cooler throughout the sleeping hours.
- The anti-sinking and high-edge support provide more space for the sleepers.
- The high-responsive feature stays best for combination sleepers. The mattress adjusts itself as the sleepers move around during sleep.
- This mattress provides a bouncy feel to the side sleepers and firm support to the back and stomach sleepers.
- It has hypoallergenic benefits with mold and dust-mite resistant features.
- Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress obtained several certifications. It has high standards in terms of quality and safety.
- This eco-friendly mattress is available at the best reasonable price.
Drawbacks of Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- This mattress is not safe for seniors with latex allergies.
- Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress weighs heavy. So, repositioning the mattress is hard.
4. Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Best for Combination Sleepers
Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress has all the best features that make the senior’s sleep sound and healthy! It is an all-foam mattress with three main layers.
These layers have high breathability and cooling features that keep the sweat and heat out. The quilted cooling Tencel mattress cover further maintains the climate and feels luxurious to the skin.
This mattress has an anti-sinking, ergonomic design that the elders can easily get in-and-out of the bed. Its medium-firm support evenly distributes the pressure points and relieves the elder’s body pains.
All position sleepers including, back, stomach, and side sleepers find this mattress ideal. The manufacturer offers a 365-night sleep trial and lifetime warranty.
Highlighted Features of Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress is an 11 inches, all-foam mattress. Its layers include gel memory foam, adaptive hi-core memory foam, and high-density support foam.
- This mattress has a naturally cooling Tencel® encasement that controls temperature and feels soft.
- The mattress comes with a 365-night trial and lifetime warranty that makes the spending productive.
- It has the certification of CertiPUR-US standards in terms of durability, emissions, and safety.
- The manufacturer provides two free-of-cost Nector premium pillows.
Key Benefits of Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- The encasement and gel memory foam regulates the cool temperature and supports the seniors who sweat a lot during sleep.
- The hi-core memory foam and support foam layers distribute the weight and ease out neck, shoulders, and back pains. They also make the surface anti-sinking.
- This mattress provides a slow-rebounding, motion-isolation benefit for undisturbed sleep.
- The medium-firm surface stays ergonomic for back and stomach sleepers and snuggly for side sleepers. So, the elders with combination sleeping positions can find this mattress more suited.
- The edge support of this mattress is high that the elders can have a maximum sleeping surface.
- This mattress stays more comfortable for seniors having a medium body weight of about 130 lbs. to 230 lbs.
- The lifetime warranty ensures prolonged durability.
Drawbacks of Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- This mattress is quite expensive. Thus, it becomes difficult for seniors with a limited budget to afford.
- The surface stays uncomfortable for lightweight and overweight seniors.
5. Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress
Best for Plus-Size
Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress stays perfect for the heavyweight seniors. It provides a firm sleeping surface with better responsiveness.
The pocketed coils give motion-isolation and anti-sinking benefits. It also has cool-gel foam that controls temperature and makes the bed comfy.
This design stays apt for back and stomach sleepers. The core design ensures pressure-relief features, and the outer cover locks a luxurious feel to the skin.
Highlighted Features of Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress is a hybrid-type mattress with 11 inches in thickness. Its design has 1 inch of gel-infused memory foam, 2 inches of TitanFlex polyfoam, 6 inches of pocketed coils, and 2 inches of firm polyfoam.
- This bed has a quilted cotton knit outer cover with durable and breathable benefits.
- The manufacturer offers a 10-years warranty with a 120-night sleep trial.
- It uses CertiPUR-US certified foam.
Key Benefits of Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress is specifically designed for plus-size seniors who weigh more than 230 lbs.
- The support foam and pocketed coils provide the firmest base. The latex-like TitanFlex foam makes the surface responsive and comfy. The cool-gel memory foam regulates the surface’s climate.
- The outer cover provides a feathery feel to the skin with high durability.
- The thick and individually encased coil ensures motion isolation. It helps the seniors to have undisturbed sleep the whole night.
- The better edge support provides more sleeping space.
- The firm design provides remarkable ease of movement with anti-sinking benefits.
- Its pressure-relieving benefit distributes the body weight and keeps the neck, shoulder, and other physical aches away.
Drawbacks of Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress
- The very firm feature causes ache and uncomfortable feel to the side sleepers who weigh less than 230 lbs.
- It does not stay satisfactory for those who prefer plush and conforming sleeping surfaces.
Comparison of above 5 selected mattresses for elderly
|Mattress Name||Mattress Type||Firmness Level||Mattress’s Thickness||Warranty And Trial Period||Additional Features|
|Dynastymattress Cool Breeze GEL Memory Foam Mattress||Gel-infused memory foam mattress.||Medium-firm and firm mattresses suit seniors.||Available in 12-inches thickness.||Has 30 years warranty with a 120-night sleep trial.||High heat-control technology and removable outer cover. Provides fire barrier. Has CertiPUR-US certification.|
|Amerisleep AS2 Memory Foam Mattress||Gel-infused memory foam mattress.||Medium-firm sleeping surface.||Available in 12-inches thickness.||Has 20 years warranty with a 100-night sleep trial.||High pressure-relieving and breathability technology. Meets CertiPUR-US standards.|
|Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress||Latex mattress.||Firm and medium-firm sleeping surfaces suit seniors.||Available in 9-inches thickness.||Has 10 years warranty with a 100-night sleep trial.||Eco-friendly mattress. Has numerous certifications in terms of quality and durability.|
|Nectar Gel Memory Foam Mattress.||Gel-infused memory foam mattress.||Medium-firm sleeping surface.||Available in 11 inches thickness.||Has lifetime warranty with 365-night trials.||Utmost heat-control and pain-relief benefits. Provides 2 complimentary pillows. Has CertiPUR-US certification.|
|Brooklyn Bedding Titan Mattress||Hybrid mattress.||Firm mattress.||Available in 11-inches thickness.||Has 10 years warranty with a 120-night sleep trial.||Stays apt for heavy sleepers. Uses CertiPUR-US foam upon encased innerspring coils.|
Editor’s Choice: Best Mattress for Elderly
- Filled with 100% Organic Latex Foam (GOLS Certified) - No Poly Foam, No Synthetic Latex Foam, No Springs
- Quilted Cover Made of Organic Cotton and Organic New Zealand Wool - Designed, Sewn, Assembled and Packaged in our Chicago Factory
- Firm Support - 6” Firm Organic Latex Foam Base Layer - 2” Medium Organic Latex Foam Comfort Layer - Organic Wool Padding
- GOTS Certified Organic, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certified, UL Greenguard Gold Certified
- No Assembly Required - Simply place the mattress on your bed frame, unroll the plastic wrap, and your mattresses will spring to life!
Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress stays best with its remarkable features. It is a certified eco-friendly mattress satisfying all the criteria discussed above. The firm and medium-firm types with 9 inches thickness are best for aged sleepers.
They aid in healthy spinal alignment and relieve body pains. It stays responsive and anti-sinking for easy movements. It also has moderate edge support and motion isolation benefits.
It is a full latex mattress that naturally keeps the surface cool. Its encasement is soft with a fire barrier. This bed has numerous certifications and comes 10-year warranty. Above all, it is hypoallergenic and available at a reasonable price.
The mattress that can alleviate the physical pains and discomforts is what the elders always want. Such mattresses can make them have sound and healthy whole-night sleep. All of the above-discussed surfaces have such dedicated features and benefits.
Make sure to allow 72 hours of uncompressing time before using it. This process allows the bed to get to its original shape. Now, based on the selection criteria and your physical conditions and expectations, you can select your satisfying sleeping surface!